- Tue Nov 13 7:00 PM
Underrated they may be but from the Premier League’s unsung heroes are quietly going about their business Nomination for the October player of the month award (well, one of them – he made the PFA’s shortlist , but not the official Premier League-endorsed version) showed that Duffy’s sterling perf...
- Tue Nov 13 11:21 AM
Our resident cartoonist picks over the bones of Manchester City’s 3-1 victory over their city rivals If you like David’s cartoons , buy his new book: Goalless Draw Continue reading
- Tue Nov 13 10:15 AM
• City were fined £49m for breaching rules • Uefa says case could be reopened in light of recent allegations Uefa has warned Manchester City it may reopen its 2014 Financial Fair Play (FFP) investigation into the club. Citing documents and emails provided by the whistle-blowing platform Football...
- Mon Nov 12 10:00 PM
The England defender, who has regularly been picked out for his mistakes in the past, often goes unnoticed when at his best John Stones didn’t make much of an impression in the Manchester derby: didn’t register on the headline stats, wasn’t singled out in the post-match montage, didn’t come steam...
- Mon Nov 12 7:40 PM
•France midfielder can play in Premier League from 1 January • West Ham reinstate academy coach but give him final warning The former Arsenal and Manchester City midfielder Samir Nasri
looks set for a return to the Premier League once his doping ban comes to an end. Nasri, who played under the We...
- Mon Nov 12 5:07 PM
• One-year extensions beyond this season being discussed • José Mourinho keen for the 33-year-olds to stay at United Manchester United are in discussions with Antonio Valencia
and Ashley Young regarding new one-year deals, with the players’ contracts due to expire after this season. Valencia and...
- Mon Nov 12 4:59 PM
• Midfielder on track to play against Watford on 4 December • De Bruyne was thought to be out for six weeks Kevin De Bruyne is on track to return from his knee injury for Manchester City’s trip to Watford on 4 December and should be fit to face Chelsea away four days later. De Bruyne injured his...
- Mon Nov 12 10:01 AM
Coach deployed Nemanja Matic, Ander Herrera and Marouane Fellaini
as defensive block – but City simply skirted round it Two contrasting philosophies, a clash of styles, possession against directness, attack against defence – all that discussion and, in the end, very little of it meant anything. M...
- Mon Nov 12 8:53 AM
This morning’s fluff is chewing the cud Despite pulling down the pants of their local rivals and administering a good spanking, Manchester City aren’t about to rest on their laurels. Pep Guardiola is once again being linked with a move for Ajax midfielder Frenkie de Jong , who is also wanted by M...
- Mon Nov 12 8:13 AM
ends his madcap day on a high, Everton work out how to stop Chelsea and Salomón Rondón proves his worth Unai Emery delivered an overdue update on Danny Welbeck, the Arsenal striker who was stricken against Sporting in the Europa League last Thursday. Welbeck, the manager reported, und...
- Sun Nov 11 10:39 PM
• ‘The game was open for 80-something minutes’ • Sterling ticked off by Guardiola for late stepovers José Mourinho reached deep into his book of excuses after Manchester United were outplayed in the derby to fall 12 points behind the Premier League leaders. To almost every observer at the Etihad...
- Sun Nov 11 9:56 PM
Your weekend round-up of the best photography from England’s top flight View the Dozen archive Continue reading
- Sun Nov 11 8:47 PM
Manchester City’s golden pair of old lags proved the dominant forces as the champions ran rings around Manchester United On an afternoon of cold, imperious dominance at the Etihad Stadium, two things stood out. First Manchester City produced passages of football that were utterly breathtaking, so...
- Sun Nov 11 7:57 PM
Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho has blamed exertions for his side's 3-1 derby defeat to Premier League leaders Manchester City . United fought back for a 2-1 victory against the Italian champions Juventus in Turin on Wednesday while City cruised through a home game against Ukrainians...
- Sun Nov 11 6:28 PM
With this victory in the 177th derby, Manchester City surely killed any lingering hopes Manchester United had of competing for the league title. José Mourinho’s side made a fight of it but City always appeared a class – at least – above and left United staring at a 12-point gulf to the leaders an...
- Sun Nov 11 3:09 PM
Manchester derby updates from the 4.30pm GMT kick-off at the Etihad Live scores: all the goals from the games around the UK and Europe Email Rob.Smyth@theguardian.com 1.49pm GMT For both teams, this game has the perfect balance of excitement and fear. City will hope to beat United at home for the...
- Sun Nov 11 6:00 AM
Human rights group attacks club’s sponsorship deal with Emirates firm Amnesty International has accused Manchester City’s Abu Dhabi owners of brazenly trying to “sportswash” their country’s “deeply tarnished image” by pouring money into the Premier League club. The human rights group’s interventi...
- Sat Nov 10 10:30 PM
• United manager ‘not such big fan’ of aspects of Agüero’s game • Guardiola says Sterling doesn’t deserve criticism over penalty Raheem Sterling
unintentionally put the issue of diving on the pre-Manchester derby agenda with his Norman Wisdom impersonation against Shakhtar Donetsk , not – just so...
- Sat Nov 10 10:29 PM
At 33 Manchester City’s defensive-midfield rock is delighted with life as one of the team’s few automatic picks Pep Guardiola the manager paid Fernandinho a heartfelt compliment a couple of weeks ago, when he suggested Guardiola the player might find it difficult to break into the present Manches...
- Sat Nov 10 8:00 PM
All Mourinho’s instincts will be to kill the game but going for broke represents his best chance of another famous win When people said they wanted José Mourinho to make Manchester United more like Alex Ferguson’s treble winners, this, presumably, isn’t quite what they meant. The capacity to figh...
- Sat Nov 10 7:00 PM
The Football Leaks revelations show how little the views of fans and regulators matter WikiLeaks shone a light on the duplicity of US foreign policy. The Panama Papers laid bare the network of offshore banking, tax havens and legal loopholes that allows the global super-rich, political dynasties...
- Sat Nov 10 12:11 PM
• Amnesty International describe attempts as ‘brazen’ • Series of allegations published over the last week Manchester City’s Abu Dhabi owners are brazenly trying to “sportswash” their country’s “deeply tarnished image” by pouring money into the Premier League club, according to Amnesty Internatio...
- Sat Nov 10 9:00 AM
A fixture that can be billed as the Premier League’s match of the season so far is always unpredictable as illustrated by Manchester United’s 3-2 comeback win last term after Manchester City led 2-0 at the break. Pep Guardiola is yet to claim victory in the derby at the Etihad Stadium, so would l...
- Fri Nov 9 9:12 PM
• Forward signs contract extension with champions until 2023 • ‘Watching myself … I realised what I was doing in front of goal’ Raheem Sterling
has signed a contract extension at Manchester City and revealed how watching videos of himself has helped him to become more ruthless in front of goal. T...
- Fri Nov 9 8:30 PM
City were light years behind United when their Emirati owners contested their first derby back in 2008 but their huge – and possibly dubious – investment has turned the tables Oh, what happened to me, whatever happened to you? What became of Robinho – and Benjani? If the rise of Manchester City i...
- Fri Nov 9 12:29 PM
• Klopp admits season feels less successful than the points show • Manager says campaign cannot be judged on whether title won Jürgen Klopp has said Liverpool’s season should not be judged solely on winning the Premier League and feels his team deserve more credit than has been bestowed so far. L...
- Fri Nov 9 10:43 AM
• Manager liked ‘positive attitude’ at Chelsea and Juventus • Mourinho describes City’s football operation as ‘untouchable’ José Mourinho wants Manchester United to go toe-to-toe with Manchester City in Sunday’s derby. United are nine points behind the league leaders after 11 matches as they trav...
- Fri Nov 9 8:54 AM
Today’s fluff isn’t worried at all. Definitely not This week the Mill had to face one of its greatest fears – it was time to replace the bulb on the cooker hood. The last bulb change, a good few years ago now, had resulted in a pretty nasty electric shock, a jolt across the kitchen, and one of th...
- Fri Nov 9 12:06 AM
José Mourinho to antagonise Manchester City, Mark Hughes on the brink and an Everton reunion for Ross Barkley
The moments Jose Mourinho has cherished most in his career are those when he could thumb his nose at expectation and the established order. Wednesday night’s post-match gurning and chuckl...
- Thu Nov 8 2:45 PM
• Mancini alleged to have had two contracts while City manager • Second said to have been with another Sheikh Mansour club Roberto Mancini had two contracts while manager of Manchester City, one paid via the club Sheikh Mansour owns in Abu Dhabi, according to the latest information released by Fo...