- Thu Aug 24 10:44 PM
• Everton forward may be invited out of international retirement • Players guilty of ‘hiding behind’ record goalscorer, says Southgate Gareth Southgate has said there is still a possibility he might invite Wayne Rooney
out of international retirement for the World Cup if the former Manchester Uni...
- Thu Aug 24 10:19 PM
Liverpool, Manchester City and Manchester United all look likely to reach the last 16 but Tottenham have been dealt a harsh hand with favourites Real Madrid Benfica, Basel, Manchester United, CSKA Moscow Related: PSG convinced Neymar signing opens the way to Champions League glory | Julien Lauren...
- Thu Aug 24 6:40 PM
Chelsea and Tottenham have been given tough assignments in the Champions League while Manchester United and Liverpool, both returning to the competition this year, may be somewhat relieved following the group stage draw on Thursday. Manchester City too will be looking to improve on last year’s ru...
- Thu Aug 24 6:02 PM
• Premier League champions to play Atlético Madrid, Roma and Qarabag • Tottenham will meet Real Madrid, Borussia Dortmund and Apoel Chelsea and Tottenham have both been handed tricky draws in the group stages of this season’s Champions League, with the Premier League champions facing Atlético Mad...
- Thu Aug 24 3:39 PM
Champions League draw: who could the six British sides face? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Tweet: @Simon_Burnton 3.39pm BST Hello world! So it might be handy to know who is in which pot for the Champions League draw. Even if it isn’t handy, it is something I can already tell you, so it’s g...
- Thu Aug 24 2:20 PM
• I am back to finish what I started, says the 35-year-old Swede • Striker scored 28 goals in 46 appearances last season before injury Zlatan Ibrahimovic has rejoined Manchester United on a one-year contract. The Swede, who scored 28 goals in 46 appearances last season, before suffering a knee in...
- Thu Aug 24 12:47 AM
Tottenham and Liverpool may face the toughest draws from pot three, but seeded Chelsea could still end up with a daunting autumn fixture list With the qualifying stages complete, the Champions League truly begins with Thursday’s group stage draw, which takes place at 5pm BST in Monaco. For the fi...
- Wed Aug 23 6:27 PM
For all the impressive records, Rooney’s time in an England shirt will always be judged by the failure to repeat his jaw-dropping form from Euro 2004 There is an irony that Wayne Rooney
, a player plenty, including the England manager, had considered surplus to requirements last season, has chosen...
- Wed Aug 23 5:27 PM
has retired from international football. England’s all-time record scorer has featured at six tournaments, scoring four times at his first, Euro 2004, when he was just 18 years old. He’s also the most-capped outfield player with 119 appearances for his country, just six short of Pete...
- Wed Aug 23 1:12 PM
• ‘I believe now is the time to bow out, ’ says England’s record goalscorer • Gareth Southgate wanted Rooney back for upcoming qualifiers England’s record goalscorer Wayne Rooney
has announced his retirement from international football with immediate effect. Rooney said in a statement: “It was gr...
- Tue Aug 22 10:00 AM
’s thigh injury has opened up berth in Southgate’s squad and he must be impressed at how Rooney is back knocking in the goals for Everton Wayne Rooney
’s 200th Premier League goal was particularly sweet as it came before a Manchester City crowd who just love to detest the former Manche...
- Mon Aug 21 11:50 PM
• Manchester City’s Pep Guardiola refuses to discuss Kyle Walker
dismissal • Wayne Rooney
expects chat with Gareth Southgate about England return Ronald Koeman suggested the referee, Bobby Madley, evened up his dismissal of Manchester City’s Kyle Walker
by also showing Everton’s Morgan Schneiderl...
- Sun Aug 20 10:30 PM
Old Trafford club’s forward Anthony Martial has overcome his troubles of last season to score in the first two Premier League matches In some ways it is a surprise that Anthony Martial is still at Manchester United. Whenever José Mourinho mentioned the French forward last season, it seemed like i...
- Sun Aug 20 7:49 PM
Your weekend roundup of the best photography from England’s top flight • Follow us on Instagram for more great sports photography Continue reading
- Sat Aug 19 8:00 PM
It was risky for the champions to help rivals solve a problem, something Manchester United try hard to avoid, as players such as Wayne Rooney
and Gabriel Heinze can testify It was the cartoon, published on the Daily Telegraph website a few years ago, that probably demonstrated the perception at t...
- Sat Aug 19 5:59 PM
• United score four goals in opening two matches for first time since 1907 • ‘It’s not always motorway. You always find difficult roads’ Manchester United continued their superb start to the season by again scoring four goals – the first time they have done that in their opening two matches since...
- Sat Aug 19 5:39 PM
José Mourinho has said that his Manchester United team is playing with confidence after their 4-0 win away at Swansea in Saturday’s early kick-off. The Swans manager Paul Clement defended his tactics, making it clear that he’s not interested in damage limitation, and wanted to try to get back i...
- Sat Aug 19 2:35 PM
José Mourinho has been quick to stress that Manchester United are anything but a “dream team” but his players have made a perfect start to the season, collecting maximum points, scoring freely, failing to concede and looking like a side that have all the credentials to mount a legitimate challeng...
- Sat Aug 19 11:30 AM
Premier League updates from the 12.30pm BST kick-off Mourinho: Chelsea are title favourites with no excuses And feel free to email Simon or tweet @Simon_Burnton 11.22am BST Simon will be here shortly . In the meantime, here are the thoughts of our reporter Stuart James before kick-off: Everything...
- Fri Aug 18 6:00 PM
A rejuvenated Man Utd remind us of Premier League’s thrilling years but even their renewed strength cannot stop the feeling the football landscape is changing In the 1940 edition of Wisden, RC Robertson-Glasgow wrote that looking back at the last pre-war summer of 1939 was “like peeping through t...
- Fri Aug 18 5:08 PM
Everything fell into place for Manchester United against West Ham last Sunday and it will be a surprise if José Mourinho’s team fail to pick up another three points . Mourinho’s only real selection dilemma revolves around whether he should set up a bit more conservatively away from home and recal...
- Fri Aug 18 4:38 PM
• Mourinho encouraged by 4-0 opening-day win against West Ham • Portuguese repeats wish for transfer deadline to be mid-August José Mourinho has denied Manchester United are now a “dream team” following Sunday’s 4-0 win over West Ham United at Old Trafford. The victory was arguably the best displ...