- Fri Sep 22 6:41 PM
Bournemouth defender, who has learned to deal with setbacks, recalls the moment he lost his Mother Teresa tag and the social media consequences Tyrone Mings is casting his mind back to that notorious flashpoint with Zlatan Ibrahimovic last season and considering whether he thinks the public perce...
- Fri Sep 22 5:13 PM
For all the soul-searching about the English game’s institutional failings, the mood might be very different if Alex Ferguson had left Manchester United for England in 2002 It is probably not a date many people have inked into their pocket diary. But last week brought the 10th anniversary of the...
- Fri Sep 22 4:03 PM
• Roy Hodgson’s side ‘do have quality’ says Manchester City manager • Pep Guardiola shares José Mourinho’s scepticism about League Cup “My dear fellow, ” Pep Guardiola said, his eyes twinkling to confirm that what he said next might not be completely what he believed. “This is the Premier League....
- Fri Sep 22 4:02 PM
Mauricio Pellegrino is up for the challenge of reining in Manchester United and may opt to start Virgil van Dijk in central defence, while striker Charlie Austin is available after a knock. Captain Steven Davis has called on Southampton fans to get behind them at a venue where United have won nin...
- Fri Sep 22 3:02 PM
• Manchester United manager praises forward’s ‘great improvement’ • Mourinho sidesteps questions over Romelu Lukaku
chant controversy José Mourinho believes Anthony Martial’s impressive start to the season is because the Manchester United forward is far happier than he was last year. The 21-year-...
- Fri Sep 22 11:19 AM
United are making a habit of winning 4-0 – the perfect Mourinho scoreline – and his second-season changes have given his side an authoritative air Nobody is such a master of the humdrum four-goal win as José Mourinho. When his sides start winning 4-0 and 4-1 and others start rolling their eyes ,...
- Thu Sep 21 10:41 PM
West Bromwich Albion midfielder, who will play his 633rd Premier League game at Arsenal on Monday, has taken up yoga, shows no signs of slowing down and says he could still be playing at 40 If Gareth Barry
was beginning to feel frazzled by a morning of media commitments at The Hawthorns, the mess...
- Thu Sep 21 7:41 PM
• Tech companies’ interest will escalate financial boom for top clubs • Ed Woodward announces record income made by United The internet giants Amazon and Facebook are likely to bid for Premier League football streaming rights, which will further escalate the huge financial boom for England’s top...
- Wed Sep 20 10:44 PM
• Tottenham host London rivals West Ham at Wembley in fourth round • Crystal Palace will be wary of an upset when they travel to Bristol City Holders Manchester United will travel to Swansea in the fourth round of the Carabao Cup. José Mourinho’s side beat Championship Burton 4-1 at Old Trafford...
- Wed Sep 20 10:06 PM
Manchester United swatted Burton Albion aside in what is becoming familiar fashion this season. Their fourth four-goal haul of the season made it a total of 24 in eight outings in all competitions, as they began their defence of the League Cup. José Mourinho had said United would be taking the co...
- Wed Sep 20 6:45 PM
Chelsea v Forest, Everton v Sunderland and West Brom v Man City Live scoreboard! Follow all the night’s games around Europe Feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org And if you like your football old-school, this may be your bag 11.15am BST It’s the third round of the League Cup! (No, I can...
- Wed Sep 20 4:25 PM
Brainchild of Gary Neville
and ex-teammates will offer courses designed to ‘enhance life skills as well as employability’ Members of Manchester United’s famous “class of 92” have unveiled plans to open a university that will teach students how to understand finance, cope under pressure and “maint...
- Wed Sep 20 10:25 AM
Doncaster’s manager will recreate a famous touchline pairing when he takes on Arsenal in the Carabao Cup. He discusses Wenger, Sir Alex’s advice and his Premier League ambitions In his office overlooking Doncaster Rovers’ lush training pitches Darren Ferguson is telling a story that neatly illust...
- Tue Sep 19 3:34 PM
Former Manchester United footballer Rio Ferdinand
is to start training to become a professional boxer. He will be trained by former World Boxing Council super-middleweight champion Richie Woodhall, who said he expects Ferdinand to slot into the cruiserweight division, one below heavyweight. The t...
- Tue Sep 19 1:05 PM
The song about Romelu Lukaku
’s penis is not just ‘banter’ because the trouble with supposedly positive stereotypes is that they tend to be accompanied in the minds of those who hold them by distinctly less complimentary ones Why is it racist to say Jews are careful with their money? Why is it rac...
- Tue Sep 19 12:32 PM
• Manchester United striker one of six English players on shortlist • Gabriel Jesus of Manchester City also nominated as best under 21 player Marcus Rashford, Kylian Mbappé and Ousmane Dembélé are among the 25 contenders to win the 2017 Golden Boy award, run by the Italian newspaper Tuttosport an...
- Mon Sep 18 11:57 PM
• Kick It Out write to club after footage emerges of ‘alleged racist chanting’ • Song, heard at Old Trafford last week, makes reference to Lukaku’s manhood Manchester United have been urged to stop their supporters singing a song about Romelu Lukaku
that makes reference to the size of the striker...
- Mon Sep 18 10:29 PM
• Manchester United midfielder believes rivals are Premier League favourites • Herrera says United ‘need to win titles’ to keep David de Gea at club Ander Herrera believes Manchester City are under pressure to be the Premier League champions because of their record-breaking summer transfer spend...
- Mon Sep 18 10:33 AM
Former England football captain enters plea in court appearance marked by large police and media presence The former England football captain Wayne Rooney
has pleaded guilty to a drink-driving charge. The Everton forward, 31, was banned from driving for two years and ordered to perform 100 hours...
- Mon Sep 18 8:46 AM
Bournemouth get some return from £15m Ibe, Chelsea lack plan B without Diego Costa, Burnley are not long-ball side and Jamaal Lascelles has grown up fast The Dozen: our pick of the weekend’s best Premier League photos Manchester City and Manchester United have goal differences of +14 after five m...
- Sun Sep 17 9:29 PM
In a fractious press conference after his Everton side lost 4-0 at Old Trafford, Ronald Koeman told José Mourinho to “get realistic”, in reference to comments the Manchester United boss made in his column in the match-day programme. Koeman also suggested that if he can’t get his team to win in th...
- Sun Sep 17 8:29 PM
Your weekend roundup of the best photography from England’s top flight • Follow us on Instagram for more great sports photography Continue reading
- Sun Sep 17 8:26 PM
made his first return to Old Trafford since leaving and it was not a happy one as his replacement Romelu Lukaku
overshadowed him The heavens opened after only three minutes and so Wayne Rooney
was being soaked as Antonio Valencia flashed home a sweet volley that gave Manchester Unite...
- Sun Sep 17 8:03 PM
• Mourinho says Everton should be aiming for top-four finish • Koeman tells Manchester United manager to ‘get realistic’ Ronald Koeman told José Mourinho to “get realistic” after the Manchester United manager claimed before his side’s 4-0 win that Everton should be aiming for a top-four finish “a...
- Sun Sep 17 6:08 PM
By the end, Wayne Rooney
could probably be forgiven for wondering what kind of adventures he might be missing with his old team. He had heard his name sung and there was a little, polite wave of appreciation to the crowd. Yet Rooney wore the look of a man whose return to Old Trafford had felt lik...
- Sun Sep 17 3:01 PM
Minute-by-minute updates from the 4pm BST kick-off at Old Trafford Live scores: follow all Sunday’s goals and scorers Daniel Taylor: Rooney deserves a Ronaldo-style welcome Email Nick | or tweet @NickAmes82 3.01pm BST Man Utd: De Gea, Valencia, Bailly, Jones, Young, Fellaini, Matic, Mata, Mkhitar...
- Sun Sep 17 9:01 AM
A regime with one of the world’s worst human rights record is staging the Asian Indoor and Martial Arts Games and the IOC – like Australia, which will be represented – is silent The city of Ashgabat in Turkmenistan is famous for two characteristics. It has the highest concentration of marble buil...
- Sat Sep 16 8:00 PM
The Everton striker did alienate Manchester United fans at times but while other greats of the club have their sins forgiven quickly, his seem to linger It is strange in football, an industry where the super-rich often give the impression that money is how they keep the score, how even the most f...
- Sat Sep 16 9:30 AM
The return of Wayne Rooney
to Old Trafford gives the weekend’s final game a little extra glitter as does Romelu Lukaku
, in blistering form, facing his former side. The issue though is whether Everton can arrest a run of three consecutive defeats against a Manchester United side out to return to w...