- Tue Oct 16 1:42 PM
• Manchester United manager must respond by 6pm on Friday • Mourinho alleged to have sworn to TV camera José Mourinho has been charged with improper conduct following Manchester United’s game against Newcastle United on 6 October, the Football Association has announced. The United manager spoke i...
- Mon Oct 15 9:50 PM
• Spain 2-3 England • Alcácer 58, Ramos 90; Sterling 16 38, Rashford 29 Where to start? It was a wild night under the lights of Seville and, ultimately, these are the kind of moments England ought to cherish. Any win against Spain is to be celebrated but to overcome one of the world’s most refine...
- Mon Oct 15 1:54 PM
• Left-back could sign extension within days • Shaw wants sizeable rise on £100, 000-a-week wage Luke Shaw
is in advanced talks with Manchester United regarding a new contract, with the left-back content to commit his long-term future to the club following an impressive start to the season. Relat...
- Sun Oct 14 12:30 PM
One shares a flat with his boss, another is known as the manager’s ‘brother’. A run-down of the men who help to shape their clubs’ success Known as Carlos, the 45-year-old Spaniard is building up good relationships with the Arsenal players, even if he is not the type to shy away from confrontatio...
- Sun Oct 14 10:00 AM
Fans assess the best and worst of the opening stages – top performers, biggest mistakes and the funniest moments • Part one: Arsenal to Huddersfield Best performance? Away at Newcastle. It was like a training session for us. Then again, maybe they just made us look good. Related: Mohamed Salah li...
- Sat Oct 13 10:30 PM
• Spurs midfielder in line to start tough Nations League tie • Gareth Southgate backs striker Marcus Rashford to hit form Gareth Southgate is set to hand the Tottenham midfielder Harry Winks his second England cap in Monday’s daunting Nations League tie against Spain and has thrown his support be...
- Sat Oct 13 1:49 PM
The victory over Newcastle lifted the spirits at Old Trafford but there are sterner challenges around the corner All that speculation over José Mourinho’s future subsided pretty quickly, did it not? There cannot really have been much of a crisis at Manchester United if a single last-gasp win over...
- Fri Oct 12 9:53 PM
• Croatia 0-0 England • No fans, no goals and not much to shout about anyway Of all the nights following England it is difficult to think of a stranger experience, when near-goals were greeted with almost complete silence, when the players’ shouts carried through the evening air and at one stage,...
- Fri Oct 12 8:00 AM
The Manchester United coach talks about the guilt that gripped him after the 2009 Champions League final, guiding young players though pitfalls and dishing out rollickings Michael Carrick
tells a story about the first time he encountered Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United when, by his own adm...
- Thu Oct 11 9:55 PM
This was the first time that Wales have played at the Principality Stadium since 2011 and it turned into an ordeal for Ryan Giggs
and his players. Outplayed and outclassed by Spain, the home side were comprehensively beaten on a night when the only saving grace was that the scoreline was not more...
- Thu Oct 11 4:46 PM
Borussia Dortmund’s brilliant 18-year-old winger has sent a message to players such as Marcus Rashford that going overseas does not mean being overlooked by Gareth Southgate England return to Nations League action on Friday and there is one player in particular I am really excited about seeing pe...
- Thu Oct 11 8:15 AM
Today’s tittle-tattle is running out of things to say Manchester United’s first signing of the José Mourinho regime, Eric Bailly arrived from Villarreal saying it was “a dream come true” to be joining the club. A little over two years on, that dream has turned into something of a nightmare and th...
- Wed Oct 10 3:30 PM
At Manchester United Thornley was regarded as superior to Giggs, Scholes and Beckham – then a bad tackle shattered his dreams. He talks regrets, rock bottom and why he is finally at peace It was a Sunday get-together that featured Manchester United royalty. Sir Matt Busby was there and so was Nob...
- Wed Oct 10 1:00 PM
Long-range goals are remarkably popular but are these big hoofs worthy of such high praise? By Tom Lines for WSC , part of the Guardian Sport Network It took exactly 2.8 seconds for David Beckham to become a household name. The time between the ball leaving his right boot, arcing 55 yards over a...
- Wed Oct 10 12:01 AM
The Guardian picks the best prospect from each club born between 1 September 2000 and 31 August 2001, an age band known as first-year scholars. Check the progress of our 2017 class | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 Continue reading