- Mon Oct 15 9:50 PM
• Spain 2-3 England • Alcácer 58, Ramos 90; Sterling 16 38, Rashford 29 Where to start? It was a wild night under the lights of Seville and, ultimately, these are the kind of moments England ought to cherish. Any win against Spain is to be celebrated but to overcome one of the world’s most refine...
- Mon Oct 15 1:54 PM
• Left-back could sign extension within days • Shaw wants sizeable rise on £100, 000-a-week wage Luke Shaw
is in advanced talks with Manchester United regarding a new contract, with the left-back content to commit his long-term future to the club following an impressive start to the season. Relat...
- Sun Oct 14 12:30 PM
One shares a flat with his boss, another is known as the manager’s ‘brother’. A run-down of the men who help to shape their clubs’ success Known as Carlos, the 45-year-old Spaniard is building up good relationships with the Arsenal players, even if he is not the type to shy away from confrontatio...
- Sun Oct 14 10:00 AM
Fans assess the best and worst of the opening stages – top performers, biggest mistakes and the funniest moments • Part one: Arsenal to Huddersfield Best performance? Away at Newcastle. It was like a training session for us. Then again, maybe they just made us look good. Related: Mohamed Salah li...
- Sat Oct 13 10:30 PM
• Spurs midfielder in line to start tough Nations League tie • Gareth Southgate backs striker Marcus Rashford to hit form Gareth Southgate is set to hand the Tottenham midfielder Harry Winks his second England cap in Monday’s daunting Nations League tie against Spain and has thrown his support be...
- Sat Oct 13 1:49 PM
The victory over Newcastle lifted the spirits at Old Trafford but there are sterner challenges around the corner All that speculation over José Mourinho’s future subsided pretty quickly, did it not? There cannot really have been much of a crisis at Manchester United if a single last-gasp win over...
- Fri Oct 12 9:53 PM
• Croatia 0-0 England • No fans, no goals and not much to shout about anyway Of all the nights following England it is difficult to think of a stranger experience, when near-goals were greeted with almost complete silence, when the players’ shouts carried through the evening air and at one stage,...
- Fri Oct 12 8:00 AM
The Manchester United coach talks about the guilt that gripped him after the 2009 Champions League final, guiding young players though pitfalls and dishing out rollickings Michael Carrick
tells a story about the first time he encountered Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United when, by his own adm...
- Thu Oct 11 9:55 PM
This was the first time that Wales have played at the Principality Stadium since 2011 and it turned into an ordeal for Ryan Giggs
and his players. Outplayed and outclassed by Spain, the home side were comprehensively beaten on a night when the only saving grace was that the scoreline was not more...
- Thu Oct 11 4:46 PM
Borussia Dortmund’s brilliant 18-year-old winger has sent a message to players such as Marcus Rashford that going overseas does not mean being overlooked by Gareth Southgate England return to Nations League action on Friday and there is one player in particular I am really excited about seeing pe...
- Thu Oct 11 8:15 AM
Today’s tittle-tattle is running out of things to say Manchester United’s first signing of the José Mourinho regime, Eric Bailly arrived from Villarreal saying it was “a dream come true” to be joining the club. A little over two years on, that dream has turned into something of a nightmare and th...
- Wed Oct 10 3:30 PM
At Manchester United Thornley was regarded as superior to Giggs, Scholes and Beckham – then a bad tackle shattered his dreams. He talks regrets, rock bottom and why he is finally at peace It was a Sunday get-together that featured Manchester United royalty. Sir Matt Busby was there and so was Nob...
- Wed Oct 10 1:00 PM
Long-range goals are remarkably popular but are these big hoofs worthy of such high praise? By Tom Lines for WSC , part of the Guardian Sport Network It took exactly 2.8 seconds for David Beckham to become a household name. The time between the ball leaving his right boot, arcing 55 yards over a...
- Wed Oct 10 12:01 AM
The Guardian picks the best prospect from each club born between 1 September 2000 and 31 August 2001, an age band known as first-year scholars. Check the progress of our 2017 class | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 Continue reading
- Tue Oct 9 2:03 PM
Bayern Munich, Manchester United, Real Madrid and Barcelona have won 26 European Cups between them. You wouldn’t know it from their form By Martin Laurence for WhoScored It was a weekend of shock results across Europe’s major leagues, with the Bundesliga and La Liga in particular throwing up more...
- Tue Oct 9 11:01 AM
Our cartoonist checks in on the latest goings on at Old Trafford and a midweek night out in the north-east View all of David’s cartoons here Continue reading
- Tue Oct 9 10:20 AM
• ‘We’ve never thought about his return and we’re not going to’ • José Mourinho due to learn whether he will face FA charge Juventus have ruled out re-signing Paul Pogba from Manchester United. The midfielder left for Old Trafford in 2016 but his strained relationship with José Mourinho and refus...
- Tue Oct 9 9:24 AM
Today’s tittle-tattle is spoiling for a fight Now that Manchester United are back , José Mourinho can get down to business. Having confirmed himself as the world’s greatest manager with that stunning comeback against the most fearsome Newcastle United side in living memory, Mourinho has the suppo...
- Mon Oct 8 7:56 PM
• Fran Kirby and Lucy Bronze battle for inaugural women’s award • Ronaldo, Kane, Bale and Salah make men’s list Fran Kirby and Lucy Bronze have been nominated for the inaugural women’s Ballon d’Or while Gareth Bale
, Harry Kane and Cristiano Ronaldo
are contenders for the men’s award. Kirby’s nomi...
- Mon Oct 8 3:04 PM
Max Rushden is joined by Barry Glendenning, Jonathan Wilson and Paolo Bandini as they discuss Liverpool’s 0-0 draw with Manchester City, José Mourinho living to fight another day, Villa’s vacancy and Halesowen Town Join the conversation on Facebook , Twitter and email . Max Rushden is joined by B...
- Mon Oct 8 8:26 AM
A call to get tougher on diving, Arsenal are turning up the volume and Everton’s biggest investments are coming good Declan Rice faces a big decision over his international future after once again being left out of the Republic of Ireland squad for the Nations League matches against Denmark and W...
- Sun Oct 7 8:16 PM
Your weekend round-up of the best photography from England’s top flight The Dozen archive Continue reading
- Sun Oct 7 1:59 PM
• Manchester United left-back injured in win over Newcastle • Knock may rule him out of both Nations League fixtures Luke Shaw
is a doubt for England’s upcoming Nations League matches against Croatia and Spain because of a knock he suffered in Manchester United’s win over Newcastle United on Satu...
- Sun Oct 7 12:47 PM
Manchester United came back from two goals down to defeat Newcastle and players have called on the team to repeat that second-half performance – but it may not be that easy Romelu Lukaku
crystallised what many fans believe when he said that Manchester United should always storm forward as they di...
- Sat Oct 6 10:57 PM
Manchester United manager José Mourinho says speculation over his future had become a "manhunt" and that the atmosphere it has generated has been impacting the players. United fought back from 2-0 down to defeat Newcastle United 3-2 in the Premier League on Saturday with Alexis Sanchez grabbing...
- Sat Oct 6 9:43 PM
• Manchester United manager says he is the victim of a manhunt • ‘Some of my players are not coping so well, ’ he adds José Mourinho took paranoia to a new level in the aftermath of Manchester United’s dramatic 3-2 win over Newcastle, complaining the last few days have felt like a manhunt and tha...
- Sat Oct 6 7:42 PM
There were chants of “José Mourinho” from the Stretford End as Manchester United left it late to win their first home match in five attempts. There was no such backing as the home side went two goals down inside 10 minutes for the first time ever in a Premier League game at Old Trafford, but just...
- Sat Oct 6 4:34 PM
Updates from the 5.30pm BST kick-off at Old Trafford Manchester United board back Mourinho as manager And you can email Rob with your thoughts 4.34pm BST When Mourinho goes , Eddie Howe should be on the shortlist to replace him. Related: Tottenham v Cardiff, Leicester v Everton and more: clockwat...
- Sat Oct 6 9:07 AM
Multiple Old Trafford sources say José Mourinho retains the support of the hierarchy for the immediate future José Mourinho retains the backing of Manchester United, with the board currently having no plans to remove him as manager. United play Newcastle United in Saturday’s late game at Old Traf...
- Fri Oct 5 10:30 PM
• Manager encouraged by morale-boosting meal with owner • Spaniard takes on Manchester United and old foe Mourinho Rafael
Benítez has emerged from his night out with Mike Ashley and Newcastle United’s first-team squad in cautiously optimistic mood. The manager heads to Manchester United on Saturd...