- Sun Sep 3 7:39 PM
Gareth Southgate celebrated his 47th birthday on Sunday and was asked whether he’d received a cake from his England players. His response was to joke about Yaya Touré, referring to comments the player’s advisor, Dmitry Seluk, made back in 2014 about Manchester City not getting him a cake on his o...
- Sun Sep 3 10:00 AM
In an exclusive extract from his new book, Darius Vassell recalls his incredible season with Turkish side Ankaragucu, which involved a remarkable welcome, several broken promises and a truly bizarre pre-match ritual I didn’t want to become a journeyman footballer. Aston Villa was the only club I’...
- Sat Sep 2 8:00 PM
Pep Guardiola’s treatment of the still prolific striker, who is closing in on the Manchester City scoring record, has been mystifying It isn’t easy sometimes understanding why Pep Guardiola gives the impression that he is never fully satisfied with Sergio Agüero, and it is even more perplexing wh...
- Fri Sep 1 12:59 AM
A record amount of money was spent in the window following the latest Premier League TV contract, but some of the most publicised deals didn’t materialise The summer-long Alexis Sánchez saga twisted at the very last, with Arsenal relaxing their absolute not-for-sale stance. Manchester City made t...
- Thu Aug 31 7:57 PM
• Forward will wear Ousmane Dembélé’s No7 shirt at Dortmund • Sancho had been linked with moves to Arsenal and Tottenham Jadon Sancho has become the latest young English player to move overseas after Borussia Dortmund confirmed the 17-year-old has joined from Manchester City for a fee understood...
- Thu Aug 31 5:01 PM
Manchester City’s 27-year-old summer signing is considered overpriced by many but the fee has merely been ramped up by inflation and is fast becoming the new norm One way to contemplate the mind-boggling millions Premier League clubs have spent signing footballers in this record-breaking transfer...
- Thu Aug 31 2:22 PM
• City’s offer for Sánchez thought to be in region of £55m plus add-ons • Arsenal will not accept that or sell without finding a replacement Manchester City have lodged a second bid for Alexis Sánchez, thought to be in the region of £55m plus add-ons. That is still some way below Arsenal’s valuat...
- Thu Aug 31 1:40 PM
• Goalkeeper has been informed he will start ahead of Jack Butland
• Tottenham right-back Kieran Trippier ruled out by injury Gareth Southgate is ready to give Joe Hart
a vote of confidence by including him in England’s World Cup qualifier in Malta and resisting the temptation to call up Jack But...
- Thu Aug 31 1:28 PM
The outcry against the treatment of Manchester City fans at Bournemouth is a reminder – heavy-handed police and stewards should be shown the red card It’s great. Your football team scores, first minute, last minute, last minute of injury time, any time. There are 30 seconds of ecstasy, exuberance...
- Thu Aug 31 8:59 AM
Red Bull, in Germany, Austria, Brazil and the US, and Manchester City have built up networks of sister clubs that save them time and money If the transfer of Naby Keïta to Liverpool looks like a vindication of Red Bull’s corporate approach to football, just wait until someone makes a bid for Igor...
- Wed Aug 30 8:35 PM
• City preparing improved bid in last attempt to sign Chile forward • Arsenal keen to sign Monaco’s Thomas Lemar if Sánchez leaves Arsenal will go into transfer deadline day on tenterhooks over Alexis Sánchez, with Manchester City hopeful that an improved bid will persuade the London club to sell...
- Wed Aug 30 12:36 PM
Manchester City’s manager has the raw material so why is he not bringing the best out of such players rather than attempting to buy other clubs’ top performers like Alexis Sánchez? The final days and hours of the transfer window seem to be conforming to the usual pattern, the one that makes every...
- Wed Aug 30 10:55 AM
Fans from all 20 Premier League club tell us how well their signings are settling in and who they want to bring in before the window closes on Thursday night Alexandre Lacazette looks ready to hit the ground running but another centre-back is a must. Virgil van Dijk would be a big improvement in...
- Tue Aug 29 2:00 PM
Of all the football deals in all the world, what attracted Manchester City’s Abu Dhabi owner and executives to go into business with their manager Pep Guardiola’s brother and agent? Manchester City’s purchase of the La Liga club Girona last week combined a billionaire’s swagger with an uneasy imp...
- Tue Aug 29 10:31 AM
• City attempt to break Arsenal’s resolve to keep Chile forward • England winger Sterling understood to be open to move Manchester City have attempted to break the impasse over Alexis Sánchez by indicating that they would be prepared to include Raheem Sterling
in a deal. Sterling, who joined City...
- Tue Aug 29 9:24 AM
• Everton goalkeeper to miss games against Malta and Slovakia with injury • No replacement called up with Joe Hart
, Jack Butland
and Tom Heaton in squad Everton goalkeeper Jordan Pickford has withdrawn from England’s World Cup qualifiers against Malta and Slovakia. The uncapped 23-year-old linked...
- Mon Aug 28 10:11 AM
Manchester City have found an innovative way to combat cliques but England’s Gareth Southgate will need more than feng shui to tackle his own problem The butt of much public mockery when Sky’s cameras captured assorted well-heeled corporate clients peering through its walls of two‑way glass last...
- Mon Aug 28 8:09 AM
Pep Guardiola learning from Raheem Sterling
, Frank de Boer needs time at Crystal Palace and Old Trafford atmosphere is not impressing José Mourinho After Raheem Sterling
again came to the fore, for the second time in six days, it was inevitable that Pep Guardiola would face questions about the in...