- Wed May 16 3:59 PM
Pacy, mobile left-back who gave an extra attacking drive to the England World Cup-winning team of 1966 Ray Wilson, who has died aged 83, had the lowest profile of any player in England’s 1966 World Cup final-winning team, and generally liked to keep it that way. He was a fast, skilled, mobile lef...
- Wed May 16 2:43 PM
• Wilson was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease in 2004 • Tributes paid by his former club’s Huddersfield and Everton England’s 1966 World Cup-winning left-back Ray Wilson has died at the age of 83, his former clubs Huddersfield and Everton have announced. Wilson was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s di...
- Wed May 16 12:00 PM
Allardyce’s sacking ends an ill-judged tenure which confirmed he is a survival specialist but had not one impressive display It was overshadowed at the time by his tales of Romelu Lukaku and voodoo , late-night calls from Jim White and Ross Barkley’s contract demands but even now, four months on,...
- Wed May 16 9:50 AM
• Allardyce loses job amid supporter discontent • Former England manager had year left on contract Sam Allardyce has been sacked by Everton after six months amid fan discontent. The manager had a further season on his contract. Allardyce was brought in last November with Everton on the fringes of...
- Mon May 14 10:30 PM
• Portuguese was preferred candidate back in October • Board to meet about Allardyce and Rooney in midweek Sam Allardyce is set to leave Everton this week with the former Watford and Hull City manager Marco Silva a leading candidate to replace him. Allardyce is scheduled to meet Everton’s major s...
- Mon May 14 5:17 PM
• Former Everton manager’s current deal expired on Sunday • West Ham also looking at other options to replace Moyes West Ham are aiming to end the uncertainty over their managerial situation in the next fortnight and will give themselves time to pursue other options before deciding whether to off...
- Sun May 13 10:29 PM
Your weekend round-up of the best photography from England’s top flight • Follow Guardian sport on Instagram for more great photography The Dozen archive Continue reading
- Sun May 13 5:15 PM
It spoke volumes that the Everton fans did not spring to the defence of their manager when the locals started having fun at Sam Allardyce’s expense. They simply could not be bothered and are unlikely to shed any tears if this limp defeat marks the end of Allardyce’s unhappy tenure. The former Eng...
- Sun May 13 2:04 PM
Keep up with all the 3pm BST Premier League kick-offs Follow Liverpool v Brighton – live! Latest in-running Premier League table Feel free to email Simon or tweet: @Simon_Burnton 2.04pm BST Crystal Palace: Hennessey, Wan Bissaka, Tomkins, Sakho, Van Aanholt, McArthur, Cabaye, Milivojevic, Loftus-...
- Sat May 12 10:30 PM
• Former Hammers manager still uncertain of future at Goodison • Allardyce was unpopular with fans during his spell in east London These are difficult times for Sam Allardyce, who is not only aware of the speculation that suggests he may be preparing an Everton side for the last time but readying...
- Sat May 12 5:21 PM
Featuring: Le Gaffer’s send-off, Roy Hodgson’s Palace resurrection, a Wagner statue, and Pedro as Harley Quinn • Part 2: Manchester City to West Ham Pre-season prediction 6th ; Current position: 6th Related: Premier League 2017-18 fans’ verdicts part two: Man City to West Ham Huddersfield can cou...
- Sat May 12 8:30 AM
Somehow, with no title race since 2014 and Manchester City all but wrapping up this one in October, it has still been enthralling And now the end is near. And so we face the final curtain or at best a rather demob-happy, oddly tension-free final flutter of a curtain that fell some time ago for mo...
- Fri May 11 11:56 AM
David Moyes and Sam Allardyce face their former employers knowing that they could both be out of a job soon but supporters of both teams will probably feel more sentimental about Wayne Rooney. The Everton forward has an offer from DC United and this will be a chance to pay tribute to a legend. Mo...
- Fri May 11 11:46 AM
• Everton manager says any player who wants to leave can go • Allardyce denies Rooney has asked for a move amid US interest Sam Allardyce has denied Wayne Rooney
has asked to leave Everton but insisted the former England captain cannot be given assurances over his playing time at Goodison Park. T...
- Fri May 11 8:30 AM
A wake is in store in Swansea, Klopp faced with a juggling act and a swansong for Conte and Benítez? This feature, you will note, is called ‘10 Things to Look Out For’ rather than ‘10 Things to Look Forward To’. Thank goodness for that, because there might not be much to look forward to at the Li...
- Thu May 10 4:33 PM
• DC United offer on the table for former England captain • Rooney unhappy at lack of playing time under Sam Allardyce Wayne Rooney
will await clarification from Everton on the club’s future management situation before deciding whether to end his Goodison Park comeback after only one season. The...