- Fri Nov 24 5:47 PM
Takeover talk has reached fever pitch on Tyneside but, before Newcastle can be transformed by hundreds of Middle Eastern millions, Mike Ashley must accept an offer from Amanda Staveley. Until that happens there is a sense of limbo; not that Rafa Benítez can allow Newcastle, who have lost their pa...
- Thu Nov 23 1:00 PM
After only 13 Premier League wins Watford’s manager is being seized on as a quick fix for every failed regime. Everton want him but it is time the middleweight miracle-man put down roots again Ambitious, astute, broodingly handsome, compared, inevitably, to José Mourinho: Portugal’s latest manage...
- Mon Nov 20 10:22 AM
• Essex Police tweet message to disgruntled Hammers supporters • West Ham in relegation zone after defeat to Watford on Sunday West Ham fans have been warned to stop calling 999 to complain about their team. The side suffered a 2-0 defeat at Watford on Sunday in David Moyes’ first match in charge...
- Mon Nov 20 10:11 AM
Back after a six-week absence, Andy Carroll
contributed little to the game other than fouls and was told he was not fit to wear West Ham’s shirt by fans With seven seconds on the clock Andy Carroll
rose to challenge Marvin Zeegelaar for a high ball and left the Watford debutant on the floor, his...
- Sun Nov 19 8:31 PM
• Chants of ‘sack the board’ heard as Moyes’ loses first game in charge to Watford • ‘I don’t know all the reasons for it but I have to say we need them now’ David Moyes has appealed for unity among West Ham United supporters after watching his new team slump to a 2-0 defeat at Watford in his fir...
- Sun Nov 19 6:12 PM
If David Moyes still had any illusions that keeping West Ham in the Premier League will be among the biggest challenges of his career then the manner of this defeat will surely act as a major wake-up call. Aside from a 10-minute spell either side of half-time in his 500th Premier League match as...
- Sun Nov 19 4:02 PM
Live updates from the 4pm GMT kick-off Email Lawrence here or Tweet him her e, if you fancy Live scoreboard: the latest from Sunday’s matches Moyes: West Ham job is not my last chance in management 4.02pm GMT 2 min Marvin Zeegelaar is down receiving treatment and it looks like there is some blood...
- Sat Nov 18 10:30 PM
• New manager looks to halt club’s slump at Watford • Stuart Pearce ‘will play a big role’, says Moyes David Moyes has denied that taking over from Slaven Bilic at West Ham represents his last chance in football management and the Scot is confident he can arrest a slump that has left his new side...
- Sat Nov 18 9:00 AM
David Moyes takes charge of his 500th Premier League game and his first as West Ham United manager. Unfortunately he will be without the club’s top scorer, Javier Hernández, who was injured playing for Mexico. Despite Moyes’s emphasis on improved work ethic, Marco Silva will probably look to appl...
- Tue Nov 7 3:33 PM
• Striker and Morgan Schneiderlin
left out of Everton squad to face Watford • Pair were involved in an incident at the club’s Finch Farm training ground Kevin Mirallas
has apologised on social media for his behaviour at an Everton training session last week. The 30-year-old striker and Morgan Sch...
- Mon Nov 6 12:46 PM
• The pair were left out of matchday squad to face Watford • First-team coach Duncan Ferguson accused them of lack of commitment Morgan Schneiderlin
and Kevin Mirallas
were omitted from Everton’s match-day squad against Watford on Sunday after walking out of a training session 24 hours earlier. D...
- Sun Nov 5 6:49 PM
David Unsworth may not get the Everton manager’s job he craves but he will never receive a better endorsement of his ability to generate spirit and fight in a team than what transpired on a remarkable evening at Goodison Park. Everton delivered the first win of his temporary reign in chaotic, cal...
- Sat Nov 4 10:30 PM
• Caretaker manager goes into Watford game saying ‘my hurt is with our fans’ • Unsworth says struggling Everton just need a win to restore confidence David Unsworth has said he is hurting because of Everton’s desperate results and not the personal insults that have been thrown his way since becom...
- Sat Nov 4 9:00 AM
Everton are in free-fall before what could be David Unsworth’s final game as caretaker manager. Ten defeats in 14 matches embarrass an expensive squad and those who assembled it, and fear will deepen around Goodison Park should Marco Silva’s Watford inflict an 11th. Unsworth has suffered three de...
- Tue Oct 31 8:41 PM
• Spaniard feels City are playing best football since he arrived in England • Maurizio Sarri: we should ask Uefa if they can come on after 21 minutes The last time Manchester City visited the Stadio San Paolo, back in November 2011, Mario Balotelli had a full-blown tantrum on the plane because he...
- Mon Oct 30 6:03 PM
• Deeney charged with violent conduct and facing three-game ban • Striker grabbed Allen’s face during Stoke’s win at Watford on Saturday The Watford striker Troy Deeney has been charged with violent conduct for grabbing the face of Stoke’s Joe Allen
, the Football Association has announced. He fac...
- Sat Oct 28 5:12 PM
volleyed his first goal for Stoke to take the wind out of Watford’s sails. The Hornets were looking to cement their place in the top six but Fletcher’s Paul Scholes-style strike from the edge of the area secured a first away win for City. The 1-0 victory also eased the pressure on...
- Fri Oct 27 5:39 PM
Watford’s defeat in last week’s thriller at Stamford Bridge was perhaps harsh on Marco Silva’s side but it has done little to dampen their belief that this could be a special season at Vicarage Road. The mood is much more solemn for Stoke City, sitting just above the relegation zone and with fans...
- Sat Oct 21 6:20 PM
• Manager insists he is not feeling pressure after first win in four matches • Watford’s Marco Silva: ‘It’s a really unfair result, we didn’t deserve it’ Antonio Conte said the fear of being sacked by Chelsea has never gripped him after his team overturned a deficit against Watford to win 4-2 and...
- Sat Oct 21 2:39 PM
“That’s why we’re champions, ” crowed the Matthew Harding Stand after César Azpilicueta, awkwardly but decisively, nudged in the goal that in effect settled a breathless affair. In truth Chelsea had also showed plenty of reasons why a repeat of last season’s feat looks a long shot but that analys...
- Sat Oct 21 11:34 AM
Premier League updates as Chelsea host Watford, 12.30pm (BST) Conte says stretched Chelsea are in a rebuilding phase Introducing our new football notifications on the Guardian app Email your thoughts to email@example.com 11.34am BST Chelsea (3-4-3) Courtois; Rudiger, David Luiz, Cahill; A...
- Fri Oct 20 4:34 PM
Chelsea have dropped eight points at home this season, already two more than last season, and confront fourth-placed Watford with only one fully fit senior midfielder. Antonio Conte’s side are clearly struggling to adapt to the fixture clutter generated by the Champions League. The visitors’ star...
- Sun Oct 15 10:30 PM
Arsenal lost their lead and nerve after the German midfielder and Troy Deeney came on with the Watford man saying the Gunners lacked ‘a bit of cojones ’ Tom Cleverley, the eventual match-winner, said Watford had “smelled a little bit of blood” as they took a more muscular approach to Arsenal in t...
- Sat Oct 14 9:44 PM
• Manager says penalty awarded to Richarlison ‘was a creation of the referee’ • Wenger concedes his team also contributed to downfall in Watford’s 2-1 win Arsène Wenger blamed a “scandalous” penalty decision and his own team’s lack of killer instinct for a damaging 2-1 defeat at Watford . Arsenal...
- Sat Oct 14 7:35 PM
’s first league goal for almost four years counted for nothing as Arsenal relinquished the lead and left empty-handed following two second-half goals from Watford. Troy Deeney equalised from the penalty spot – his first goal of the season – before Tom Cleverley
lashed in the winnin...
- Sat Oct 14 4:35 PM
Premier League updates from the 5.30pm BST game at Vicarage Road Introducing our new football notifications on the Guardian app And feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org 4.35pm BST Watford (4-2-3-1) Gomes; Femenia, Mariappa, Britos, Holebas; Doucoure, Kabasele; Pereyra, Cleverley, Richarli...
- Fri Oct 13 4:33 PM
Watford and Arsenal are out of their comfort zones. Marco Silva’s side have not won yet at home and Arsène Wenger’s have not won away from the Emirates. However, it is surely Arsenal that should be more confident, despite in all likelihood missing Alexis Sánchez, of breaking their duck after not...
- Fri Oct 13 10:13 AM
Arsenal didn’t have the happiest Easter in 1986. In the space of a week they lost their manager, lost a north London derby and lost twice to Watford in two days By Steven Pye for That 1980s Sports Blog , part of the Guardian Sport Network In this modern world of ours, it seems Arsenal are only ev...
- Sat Sep 30 5:20 PM
Watford’s winning run on the road has come to an end, although you would never have guessed by the celebrations among the travelling supporters at the final whistle. This felt more like a victory for Marco Silva’s side, who showed plenty of courage and spirit to recover from being 2-0 down inside...
- Fri Sep 29 3:59 PM
After a strong start to the season Tony Pulis’s predictable score and shut-up-shop tactics are failing West Bromwich Albion. In all competitions they have scored more than one goal once in eight attempts and that was against Accrington Stanley. Pulis was adamant his side deserved more at Arsenal...