- Mon Apr 16 10:42 PM
It was threatening to be another grim night for West Ham United and, for Joe Hart
, a personal ordeal given that the England manager, Gareth Southgate, was here to see the latest evidence of his deterioration. Hart has already lost his place as England’s No 1 and, at this rate, he must be in dange...
- Mon Apr 16 7:45 PM
Premier League updates from the London Stadium Sign up for our free and funny email OK, our free email And feel free to email Simon or tweet @Simon_Burnton 7.34pm BST I’m not detecting a great amount of enthusiasm for this fixture. I am at West Ham v Stoke. This could well be my only tweet on the...
- Mon Apr 16 8:19 AM
José Mourinho needs to make drastic changes, Rafael
Benítez is getting best out of his players and Jordan Ayew is on a mission Having so meekly allowed Manchester City to claim the Premier League title, a process of rebuilding Manchester United into future champions starts now. The non-inclusion...
- Sun Apr 15 9:05 AM
West Ham have responded well after last month’s chaotic defeat against Burnley at the London Stadium, thrashing Southampton and drawing at Chelsea to move three points above the bottom three. They are not out of the woods yet, though. One more win might be enough, but Stoke are also desperate for...
- Wed Apr 11 8:28 PM
• Premier League gives Kane winner at Stoke after Spurs appeal • Golden Boot rival Mohamed Salah tweets “Wooooooow really?” Harry Kane has been handed a boost in his bid for a third successive Premier League Golden Boot after being awarded Tottenham’s second goal at Stoke. The goal was given to C...
- Mon Apr 9 7:21 AM
remains an enigma, Marko Arnautovic goes it alone and Rafael
Benítez delivers a lesson to his boss Danny Welbeck
stayed true to form by mixing the sublime with the ridiculous during Arsenal’s 3-2 victory over Southampton, producing a contender for miss of the season moments before n...
- Sun Apr 8 11:12 PM
Your weekend round-up of the best photography from England’s top flight • Follow Guardian sport on Instagram for more great photography The Dozen archive Continue reading
- Sun Apr 8 10:39 PM
• Tottenham’s winner awarded to Christian Eriksen • Kane has scored five fewer league goals than Mohamed Salah Harry Kane has not given up hope of overhauling Mohamed Salah in the race for the Premier League golden boot award despite being denied what he felt was his 25th goal of the campaign in...
- Sat Apr 7 5:35 PM
Every relegated side can tell a story like this. Stoke City hardly deserved to lose against Tottenham, producing a zesty and pragmatic performance that balanced an awareness of their limitations with moments of genuine threat, but it was not enough on this afternoon and may not be at the end of t...
- Fri Apr 6 2:29 PM
Stoke have six matches in which to save themselves from relegation and the portents before their latest are inauspicious. Manager, Paul Lambert, has had a host of off-field issues to address before the visit of Tottenham, including Saido Berahino’s time-keeping, Ibrahim Afellay’s attitude and an...
- Fri Apr 6 2:29 PM
• Spurs coach believes revelation on chairman’s pay is ‘positive news’ • Stoke trip deemed more important than last week’s Chelsea game Mauricio Pochettino has responded to revelations over the salary of Tottenham’s chairman, Daniel Levy, by saying it is good news for the club. Related: Premier L...
- Thu Apr 5 11:15 PM
• Berahino forced to train away from first-team squad • Paul Lambert seeking to impose stricter discipline at Stoke Saido Berahino’s troubles at Stoke City continue after it emerged that he was disciplined for arriving late for an under-23 game this week, leading to the striker being made to trai...
- Mon Apr 2 8:48 AM
Arsène Wenger is given a striking decision, Hugo Lloris
climbs the wrong table and Christian Benteke
’s woes rumble on Alexandre Lacazette heard one of the loudest cheers when he came on for Danny Welbeck against Stoke City. Arsène Wenger said Welbeck had hurt his back and so Lacazette’s return fr...
- Sun Apr 1 4:36 PM
When you are down at the bottom, there is a creeping inevitability that the breaks will go to the opposition. This was Stoke’s lament. They had held their own at a typically nervy Emirates Stadium until Bruno Martins Indi stretched into a penalty box challenge on Mesut Özil. It looked clumsy and...
- Sun Apr 1 1:17 PM
Live updates from the 1.30pm kick-off at the Emirates Arsenal not prepared to break bank to keep Jack Wilshere
Email Nick at email@example.com or tweet: @NickAmes82 1.16pm BST Paul Lambert: “That’s one thing we’ve got in our favour, the results that went for us yesterday . Our performance...
- Sat Mar 31 9:03 AM
This is a bigger game for Stoke than Arsenal, with the home team having one eye on Thursday’s Europa League tie against CSKA Moscow. Stoke are winless in seven and have scored only four goals during that sequence; the lack of cutting edge – together with individual errors – has undermined some fi...
- Thu Mar 29 3:32 PM
• Striker ahead of schedule in recovery from ankle injury • Pochettino unsure but player may yet be back for Stoke game Mauricio Pochettino has suggested that Harry Kane has an outside chance of making the Tottenham squad for Sunday’s Premier League derby at Chelsea. The striker damaged lateral l...
- Thu Mar 29 11:41 AM
• ‘I’ve never known someone who’s as hungry and determined’ • Jack Wilshere
fit for home game against Stoke on Sunday Arsène Wenger’s hunger to lead Arsenal is stronger than ever before, according to his assistant manager, Steve Bould. The Frenchman’s future remains the hottest topic of discussio...
- Sun Mar 25 10:57 PM
• Stoke No1 out to stake his claim against Italy at Wembley • ‘Whoever is selected comes in off a battle, which is what you want’ Jack Butland
has welcomed the competition for places for the England goalkeeper’s jersey, with only three games to play before the World Cup finals, as he prepares to...
- Mon Mar 19 8:32 AM
Álvaro Morata needs to play regularly, rusty Manolo Gabbiadini can solve Southampton’s problems, and Stoke are in big trouble Related: Chelsea’s Morata tries to run his way into Antonio Conte’s good books | Barney Ronay Related: Mohamed Salah will get even better before the season is out, says Jü...
- Sun Mar 18 9:37 PM
Your weekend round-up of the best photography from the FA Cup and England’s top flight • Follow Guardian sport on Instagram for more great photography The Dozen archive Continue reading
- Sat Mar 17 5:26 PM
To the list of times and weather conditions under which foreign pros should be tested at Stoke, add “Saturday afternoon” and “blizzard”. Everton’s Cenk Tosun met the challenge here, claiming a second half brace to earn victory in a tempest of snow. Stoke will feel aggrieved at this defeat. They h...
- Fri Mar 16 5:06 PM
Sam Allardyce takes Everton to struggling Stoke, whom they beat 1-0 on the opening day with a debut goal from Wayne Rooney
when both teams were under different management, with five successive defeats on their recent travels, his last point coming when the team were outplayed in a 0-0 by West Bro...
- Thu Mar 15 12:00 PM
Mark Hughes’s spell at Stoke ultimately ended in failure but a Southampton survival mission over eight games could provide just the fresh start both manager and team need The month of March is never a great time to be changing managers but when Southampton became the ninth Premier League club thi...
- Wed Mar 14 10:44 PM
• Hughes replaces Mauricio Pellegrino, who was sacked this week • Former Stoke manager’s first game will be in FA Cup at Wigan Mark Hughes has been appointed as Southampton’s new manager on an initial deal until the end of the season. He replaces Mauricio Pellegrino, who was sacked on Monday. Hug...
- Tue Mar 13 1:43 PM
• Hughes has been out of work since Stoke sacked him in January • Southampton keen on him after dismissing Mauricio Pellegrino Mark Hughes is the leading candidate to succeed Mauricio Pellegrino as the Southampton manager. The club dismissed Pellegrino on Monday , after a dire run of results that...
- Tue Mar 13 12:15 PM
Manchester City edged closer to the Premier League title with a 2-0 win over Stoke. That victory restored their 16-point lead at the top of the table, and means that a win over Manchester United on 7 April could clinch the title. But their manager, Pep Guardiola, insists that when and where they...
- Mon Mar 12 10:16 PM
It promises to be an enjoyable five-day break in the sun for Manchester City’s players, who boarded their flight to Abu Dhabi last night enjoying the view from the top of the Premier League, 16 points clear of Manchester United once again, and safe in the knowledge that they can wrap up the title...
- Mon Mar 12 7:25 PM
Latest updates from the 8pm kick-off in Stoke David Conn: Guardiola caught out by double standards Feel free to email Nick or tweet: @NickAmes82 7.16pm GMT Usually at this stage of the evening there’d be some trenchant pre-match analysis on yer telly from a panel including Jamie Carragher, but th...
- Sun Mar 11 10:37 PM
• Manchester City man has been in Spain with prematurely born son • Midfielder has trained alone in Valencia but may play at Stoke City Manchester City’s David Silva
is still being allowed compassionate leave to spend time with his wife in Spain, where the couple’s prematurely born son is still r...