- Fri Sep 8 5:30 PM
’s back injury could lead to a debut for Stoke’s new £18m centreback, Kevin Wimmer. Even if the Austrian slots in well, United look to have the attacking power to find holes in the home defence, especially out wide. The probability, therefore, is that if Stoke are to disrupt United’...
- Thu Sep 7 5:47 PM
Everton manager Ronald Koeman expresses his disappointment about striker Wayne Rooney
after the 31-year-old’s recent charge for drink-driving. Speaking at his pre-match press conference in Halewood on Thursday, Koeman says Rooney will play in the match against Tottenham Hotspur on Saturday Ronald...
- Thu Sep 7 2:25 PM
• Rooney will be ‘dealt with internally at the appropriate time’ • Everton manager says Rooney will face Tottenham on Saturday Ronald Koeman has said he is “very disappointed” at Wayne Rooney
’s over the 31-year-old’s drink-driving charge and that the player will be “dealt with internally at the a...
- Thu Sep 7 10:50 AM
The transfer window has shut, the first international break is over and the real business is about to begin. Can any of Manchester City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Tottenham or Manchester United be content with the state of their squads? August never seems an entirely satisfactory month. The closing of...
- Tue Sep 5 10:30 PM
• Forward’s career development was identified by England with his club • ‘United prepare their players well, which is why they end up the way they do’ Gareth Southgate has praised Marcus Rashford’s growing maturity and believes England are reaping the benefits from a clear career pathway, identif...
- Tue Sep 5 9:23 AM
Today’s whispers got a late call-up In a world where Jesse Lingard can collect six figures every week from the vault underneath the Old Trafford pitch – in return for 84 minutes of bench-based Snapchat stories and six minutes of dogged, diligent wingplay – one has got to take their hat off to Dan...
- Tue Sep 5 7:30 AM
Striker’s wonderful goal finally won over a crowd reduced to silence by the painful memories of Malta and England’s poor start against Slovakia When it comes to England it is not the spells of ineptitude that kill you – those periods, as in the opening half‑hour at Wembley, where the ball appears...
- Mon Sep 4 10:02 PM
Patience pays off again for Gareth Southgate and co as Marcus Rashford, initially pinned to the right flank, eventually inspires victory amid banks of empty seats Patience, they had all chorused. From Gareth Southgate to Jordan Henderson to Harry Kane. They were talking about the realisation of a...
- Mon Sep 4 9:41 PM
By the end England could reflect on a satisfying evening’s work and, barring an almost improbable collapse, a place at the World Cup in Russia next summer. All they need are two points from their final games against Slovenia and Lithuania and, though there are still clearly imperfections within G...
- Mon Sep 4 3:06 PM
• Spain striker not selected in Antonio Conte’s 25-man squad • Vincent Janssen and Erik Lamela not included by Tottenham Diego Costa has been omitted from Chelsea’s Champions League squad, while Zlatan IBrahimovic has been included in Manchester United’s list despite the veteran striker not being...
- Sun Sep 3 10:30 PM
• Manager urges fans to get behind team after criticism of Malta display • Dier and Rashford in line to start World Cup qualifier against Slovakia Gareth Southgate has addressed the dissatisfaction which surfaced among England fans during Friday’s win over Malta and described the suggestion his p...
- Sun Sep 3 1:15 PM
• Former England captain says his ‘mind is made up’ over retirement • Rooney reveals Fabio
Capello cheered for Italy at 2010 World Cup Wayne Rooney
has insisted that he will not be tempted out of international retirement for one more shot at World Cup glory in Russia next summer. The former Engla...