- Mon Sep 11 8:00 PM
• United face Basel at Old Trafford on return to Champions League action • Bans mean Chris Smalling
and Victor Lindelof set to play in central defence José Mourinho feels Manchester United will be back in their “natural habitat” when they return to Champions League combat for the first time in 64...
- Mon Sep 11 8:34 AM
Brighton provide perfect response, Everton are embarrassed, Liverpool have concerns beyond defence and Rafael
Benítez sees progress from afar Eddie Howe has worked wonders in overseeing Bournemouth’s exhilarating rise but his present task looks rather less attractive. They have yet to win a point...
- Sun Sep 10 11:03 PM
• United’s manager says he needed more height to cope with aerial threat • Mark Hughes hits back at ‘lazy’ claim as managers clash after 2-2 draw A game for Marouane Fellaini
: that was José Mourinho’s assessment after Manchester United dropped their first points of the season . The richest club i...
- Sun Sep 10 10:47 PM
• Arsenal manager says he turned down overtures to replace Ferguson in 2002 • ‘Manchester United is attractive but am I happy here? The answer was yes’ Arsène Wenger says his dedication to Arsenal’s values persuaded him to reject an offer from Manchester United in 2001 and continue his career at...
- Sun Sep 10 12:00 PM
José Mourinho’s side are well placed to challenge the cream of the continent but on recent form it’s hard to justify England’s Champions League prominence European football returns this week, and though the individual highlight may well be the look of distaste on Alexis Sánchez’s face as he comes...
- Sun Sep 10 10:14 AM
• Incident occurred after Stoke drew 2-2 with Manchester United • Stoke manager Hughes earlier pushed Mourinho José Mourinho refused to shake Mark Hughes hand at the end of Manchester United’s 2-2 draw with Stoke City because he believed he was told to “fuck off” during the game by the Welshman....
- Sun Sep 10 9:59 AM
An extract from Scott Murray’s ‘The Title: The Story of the First Division’ describes how a pooch named Major saved the club that became Manchester United Something had been stirring in Manchester. City had come to prominence in the 1903-04 season, finishing runners-up to The Wednesday while scor...
- Sat Sep 9 7:40 PM
Manchester United conceded for the first time in the Premier League this season and dropped their first points against an impressive Stoke City who posed questions in a riveting contest. José Mourinho’s side remain leaders due to a superior goal difference to Manchester City, who earlier trounced...
- Sat Sep 9 4:39 PM
Updates from the 5.30pm BST kick-off at the bet365 Stadium Clockwatch: catch up with all Saturday’s goals Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your thoughts 4.39pm BST Stoke City make two changes to the team sent out at West Bromwich Albion before the international break. Ryan Shawcross is unf...
- Fri Sep 8 5:30 PM
’s back injury could lead to a debut for Stoke’s new £18m centreback, Kevin Wimmer. Even if the Austrian slots in well, United look to have the attacking power to find holes in the home defence, especially out wide. The probability, therefore, is that if Stoke are to disrupt United’...
- Thu Sep 7 5:47 PM
Everton manager Ronald Koeman expresses his disappointment about striker Wayne Rooney
after the 31-year-old’s recent charge for drink-driving. Speaking at his pre-match press conference in Halewood on Thursday, Koeman says Rooney will play in the match against Tottenham Hotspur on Saturday Ronald...
- Thu Sep 7 2:25 PM
• Rooney will be ‘dealt with internally at the appropriate time’ • Everton manager says Rooney will face Tottenham on Saturday Ronald Koeman has said he is “very disappointed” at Wayne Rooney
’s over the 31-year-old’s drink-driving charge and that the player will be “dealt with internally at the a...
- Thu Sep 7 10:50 AM
The transfer window has shut, the first international break is over and the real business is about to begin. Can any of Manchester City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Tottenham or Manchester United be content with the state of their squads? August never seems an entirely satisfactory month. The closing of...
- Tue Sep 5 10:30 PM
• Forward’s career development was identified by England with his club • ‘United prepare their players well, which is why they end up the way they do’ Gareth Southgate has praised Marcus Rashford’s growing maturity and believes England are reaping the benefits from a clear career pathway, identif...
- Tue Sep 5 9:23 AM
Today’s whispers got a late call-up In a world where Jesse Lingard can collect six figures every week from the vault underneath the Old Trafford pitch – in return for 84 minutes of bench-based Snapchat stories and six minutes of dogged, diligent wingplay – one has got to take their hat off to Dan...
- Tue Sep 5 7:30 AM
Striker’s wonderful goal finally won over a crowd reduced to silence by the painful memories of Malta and England’s poor start against Slovakia When it comes to England it is not the spells of ineptitude that kill you – those periods, as in the opening half‑hour at Wembley, where the ball appears...