- Wed Sep 6 10:40 AM
It’s time for Gareth Southgate to drop Joe Hart
, Aaron Hughes
embodies Northern Ireland’s ambition and Ben Woodburn has once again proved himself for Wales Before the games against Malta and Slovakia Gareth Southgate suggested no other goalkeeper had “staked a strong enough claim” to take over fr...
- Wed Sep 6 8:58 AM
Today’s tittle-tattle is surveying the wreckage It’s been almost a week since the transfer window closed, and all over the country players are sheepishly returning to training. Virgil van Dijk is running extra hard at Southampton, and Diego Costa is jetting back to London , if only because Atléti...
- Tue Sep 5 10:30 PM
• Manchester City were prepared to pay £18m for West Brom’s Evans • Evans says countries will fear Northern Ireland in a World Cup play-off Jonny Evans
is claiming he was never distracted by Manchester City’s interest during the transfer window but was inspired to become a better player by the cl...
- Tue Sep 5 9:23 AM
Today’s whispers got a late call-up In a world where Jesse Lingard can collect six figures every week from the vault underneath the Old Trafford pitch – in return for 84 minutes of bench-based Snapchat stories and six minutes of dogged, diligent wingplay – one has got to take their hat off to Dan...
- Mon Sep 4 11:22 AM
• Javier Tebas has written to governing body requesting investigation • Uefa already investigating PSG over alleged FFP breach The Spanish soccer league wants Uefa to investigate Manchester City’s spending and expand its newly-launched probe into whether Paris Saint-Germain has breached Financial...
- Sun Sep 3 7:39 PM
Gareth Southgate celebrated his 47th birthday on Sunday and was asked whether he’d received a cake from his England players. His response was to joke about Yaya Touré, referring to comments the player’s advisor, Dmitry Seluk, made back in 2014 about Manchester City not getting him a cake on his o...
- Sun Sep 3 10:00 AM
In an exclusive extract from his new book, Darius Vassell recalls his incredible season with Turkish side Ankaragucu, which involved a remarkable welcome, several broken promises and a truly bizarre pre-match ritual I didn’t want to become a journeyman footballer. Aston Villa was the only club I’...
- Sat Sep 2 8:00 PM
Pep Guardiola’s treatment of the still prolific striker, who is closing in on the Manchester City scoring record, has been mystifying It isn’t easy sometimes understanding why Pep Guardiola gives the impression that he is never fully satisfied with Sergio Agüero, and it is even more perplexing wh...
- Fri Sep 1 12:59 AM
A record amount of money was spent in the window following the latest Premier League TV contract, but some of the most publicised deals didn’t materialise The summer-long Alexis Sánchez saga twisted at the very last, with Arsenal relaxing their absolute not-for-sale stance. Manchester City made t...
- Thu Aug 31 7:57 PM
• Forward will wear Ousmane Dembélé’s No7 shirt at Dortmund • Sancho had been linked with moves to Arsenal and Tottenham Jadon Sancho has become the latest young English player to move overseas after Borussia Dortmund confirmed the 17-year-old has joined from Manchester City for a fee understood...
- Thu Aug 31 5:01 PM
Manchester City’s 27-year-old summer signing is considered overpriced by many but the fee has merely been ramped up by inflation and is fast becoming the new norm One way to contemplate the mind-boggling millions Premier League clubs have spent signing footballers in this record-breaking transfer...
- Thu Aug 31 2:22 PM
• City’s offer for Sánchez thought to be in region of £55m plus add-ons • Arsenal will not accept that or sell without finding a replacement Manchester City have lodged a second bid for Alexis Sánchez, thought to be in the region of £55m plus add-ons. That is still some way below Arsenal’s valuat...
- Thu Aug 31 1:40 PM
• Goalkeeper has been informed he will start ahead of Jack Butland
• Tottenham right-back Kieran Trippier ruled out by injury Gareth Southgate is ready to give Joe Hart
a vote of confidence by including him in England’s World Cup qualifier in Malta and resisting the temptation to call up Jack But...
- Thu Aug 31 1:28 PM
The outcry against the treatment of Manchester City fans at Bournemouth is a reminder – heavy-handed police and stewards should be shown the red card It’s great. Your football team scores, first minute, last minute, last minute of injury time, any time. There are 30 seconds of ecstasy, exuberance...
- Thu Aug 31 8:59 AM
Red Bull, in Germany, Austria, Brazil and the US, and Manchester City have built up networks of sister clubs that save them time and money If the transfer of Naby Keïta to Liverpool looks like a vindication of Red Bull’s corporate approach to football, just wait until someone makes a bid for Igor...