- Mon Mar 5 10:16 PM
This game had drifted into stoppage time at the end when Nemanja Matic, a player whose performance had drifted at times, collected a clearance well outside the Crystal Palace area, waited for the ball to bounce and belted a glorious volley at goal. The ball swerved viciously, arcing away from Way...
- Mon Mar 5 9:28 PM
• Midfielder said to have alarmed team-mates after fainting on Friday • Kanté cleared by specialist but did not feature against Man City N’Golo Kanté missed Chelsea’s visit to Manchester City on Sunday after fainting at the club’s training ground on Friday, according to reports. The 26-year-old r...
- Mon Mar 5 4:09 PM
The defending champions desperately needed a positive result on Sunday, yet they set up negatively and played even worse, suggesting they did not believe victory was possible There was a moment in the second half of Manchester City’s win against Chelsea – it was probably with about quarter of an...
- Mon Mar 5 11:20 AM
• Antonio Conte played Hazard as a false nine versus Manchester City • Chelsea lost 1-0 and Hazard admits they didn’t “play a good game” Eden Hazard
believes he could have played for “three hours” against Manchester City in Chelsea’s 1-0 defeat and still not received the ball. Chelsea lost to a B...
- Mon Mar 5 8:39 AM
Chris Hughton deserves plaudits, Sam Allardyce will not win Everton fans’ affections and Spurs look ready for Juventus There is something striking about watching the defending champions cede their title to their successors, and this was a particularly mournful way to go about it. The last time a...
- Sun Mar 4 8:27 PM
• Chelsea manager says remarks on Sky Sports were ‘stupid’ • Redknapp called Chelsea’s display a ‘crime against football’ Antonio Conte branded the Sky Sports pundits Jamie Redknapp and Gary Neville
“stupid” after they described Chelsea’s display in their 1-0 defeat by Manchester City as “anti-fo...
- Sun Mar 4 8:27 PM
Belgian playmaker trudged a lonely path, a caged bird in a No 10 shirt, as reigning champions were beaten despite adopting an ultra defensive approach With 89 minutes gone at a drenched, slightly woozy Etihad Stadium Eden Hazard
was taken off, bringing to an end an afternoon spent chasing fruitle...
- Sun Mar 4 6:34 PM
By the time it was all done, with Manchester City easing 18 points clear at the top of the Premier League table, it was difficult to remember that it was actually the team wearing the darker shade of blue who could legitimately call themselves champions of England. For City, that honour is just a...
- Sun Mar 4 3:16 PM
Updates from the 4pm GMT kick-off at the Etihad Jonathan Wilson: Chelsea still miss Matic and Costa Vincent Kompany
: ‘I don’t want our level to drop’ And email Simon or tweet @Simon_Burnton 3.13pm GMT Kante’s absence will be extremely debilitating for Chelsea, for this of all matches; City have o...
- Sat Mar 3 10:43 PM
City captain revels in team’s form under Pep Guardiola but urges team-mates to maintain their current intensity, starting against Chelsea Everyone at Manchester City seems to have been playing the numbers game over the past week. Pep Guardiola reached his 100th game in England, the 3-0 victory at...
- Sat Mar 3 7:19 PM
Antonio Conte’s 3-5-1-1 formation, partly a result of dissatisfaction with the replacements for Matic, has played a big part in the club’s decline If there was a moment when, symbolically at least, last season’s title race tipped decisively the way of Chelsea, it came 12 minutes after half-time o...
- Fri Mar 2 10:48 PM
• City Manager urges players to improve for Sunday’s visit of Chelsea • Antonio Conte is a master of tactics, Guardiola says Sixteen points clear at the top of the Premier League, a first trophy in England and two consecutive 3-0 defeats over Arsenal in London and still Pep Guardiola is not happy...
- Fri Mar 2 10:40 PM
• Coach bemoans lack of support from Stamford Bridge hierarchy • ‘When you have money to spend, you can have a successful season’ Antonio Conte has expressed doubts over whether Chelsea share his ambitions as head coach and has pointed to Manchester City, Sunday’s opponents at the Etihad Stadium,...
- Fri Mar 2 2:47 PM
Benítez has never lost in five meetings against Liverpool as manager of Valencia, Chelsea and Newcastle United but it will require something special to preserve that record beyond Saturday. Liverpool have scored more goals and won more home games against Newcastle than any other team in th...
- Thu Mar 1 11:11 PM
• Midfielder on loan at Crystal Palace feels knee pain • Palace without 11 first-team players for Manchester United game Ruben Loftus-Cheek’s hopes of proving he merits inclusion in England’s World Cup squad have been dealt another blow after the midfielder suffered discomfort in a knee after his...
- Wed Feb 28 10:00 AM
Today’s nonsense has cold feet All good things must come to an end, and so too must Marouane Fellaini
’s career at Manchester United. Even José Mourinho accepts now that he cannot delay the inevitable this time and is preparing to bid a tearful farewell to the towering Belgian this summer, when,...
- Tue Feb 27 12:26 PM
• Alessandro Costacurta planning talks with Conte • Former Italy defender in charge of selecting next manager Chelsea’s manager, Antonio Conte, is Italy’s top choice as national coach. “I haven’t chosen yet but I think Conte is the one who could do the best, ” the Italian football association’s v...